01. Why did you start in this business we call show?
Leon: I got into show business because it was better to be a struggling musician than a successful Letting Agent.
Charlie: Haha yeah we have too much soul to have become successful Letting Agents.
02. What turns you on creatively, spiritually, or emotionally?
Leon: The thing that inspires me is the same thing that drives me in all areas of my life, the feel of death breathing down my neck.
Charlie: That was a dig at me, the thing that inspires me is when a plan comes together (new song at rehearsal, live performance).
03. What is your favourite swear word?
Leon: I try not to swear but if I had to choose one it would be ‘Reunion Concert’.
Charlie: We are so in-sync, mine is ‘Gary Barlow’.
04. What would have been the worst possible day for you to sleep through the alarm?
Leon: The worst day to sleep through my alarm would be Tuesday, I like a Tuesday morning.
Charlie: I don’t like mornings.
05. Presley or Costello?
Charlie: That’s hard … The king ? or one of my favourite songwriters? Always comes down to the songs for me so sorry Presley.
Leon: Presley or Costello … I don’t really drink coffee.
06. What was the one gig (yours or someone else’s) that made time stand still for you?
Leon: The one gig that made time stand still for me was when I first saw Beautiful South on their farewell tour, Paul Heaton is something of a hero of mine and one of the reasons I write music like I do.
Charlie: Green Day at Milton Keynes for me was insane and hot and bothered, then when they came on the atmosphere was incredible and everyone went mental but looked after each other. Think I just walked away wanted to create what they created that night, on whatever sized scale.
07. What sound or noise do you love?
Leon: The crack of a freshly opened can of pop is the best sound on the planet.
Charlie: The drums at the start of ‘Hookie Street’ on the Only Fools and Horses ending credits. Love it.
08. It’s 3 a.m. The promoter stole all the money. Two people turned up to the gig. Your name is spelled wrong on the poster. It’s raining. What makes you get up tomorrow and do it all over again?
Leon: The same thing that keeps me going every time things don’t seem to be going our way, the two people who did show up to the gig.
Charlie: Those two people are me and Loz right?
09. Where do odd socks go?
Leon: If you only buy plain black Primark socks then you’ll never have odd socks only large gangs of socks.
Charlie: I used to really not care about odd socks but maybe it’s a sign of growing up because they wind me up nowadays.
10. What will it say on your tombstone?
Leon: My tombstone will read…Tell Charlie I’ll be late for practice.
Charlie: ‘I read the news today.. oh boy.’
Dirt Royal’s new single ‘Glory Days’ is available on 7” vinyl and digital download on JustLust Records.